Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New Media Art - Blog

Research three examples of Video Art, embed them in your blog and discuss them.



Time Lapse was the first video that came up when I typed time lapse into the You Tube search bar. It is a 3 minute video of time lapsed footage taken from different locations in and around Los Angeles.

The location I liked the most in the video was taken from near the LAX airport where you can see aeroplanes coming into land at the airport.  The aeroplanes look a bit like UFO's as they streak across the sky at light speed creating a cool looking video effect.

The other thing I liked about this video is the way it starts in the late afternoon as the sun sets and then gradually work its way through the night with timelapse footage of different locations before finishing the video as the sun starts to rise.

Cut Copy Lights and Music was the second video artwork I watched. It has a funky soundtrack by Cut Copy as the names states. Basically this is just a video of a chick getting different colored paints poured over her face but the video is reversed so that the paint slowly disappears from her face creating a cool looking effect.

I liked this video artwork for its simplicity while still remaining interesting enough to watch, although I did not like how long it took for the paint to disappear completely from her face. The video goes for 3.37 minutes, I think is a bit long. If this were my video I would probably shorten it to about 1-2 minutes max to allow for people like myself with short attention spans.

Six Minutes of Stuff Getting Destroyed does not sound like much of a video artwork when you first read the title however it was surprisingly arty when I watched it for the first time. My favorite slow motion shot in the video is of the egg landing on top of the mouse trap which snaps down onto the egg splitting it in half and creating a cool slow motion egg white and yolk splatting effect.

I also liked the slow motion effects of bullets slicing through playing cards and wine glasses full of different colored liquids as it created a very cool looking multicolored display of messy destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment